This is one good, finger-lickin' grub, cause ya gotta crumble the bacon, ya dig? (trying to attempt to talk cow-talk, since this is a 'down home' recipe, but that ain't gonna work here)
Anywho, it's late and blabbering, I've made this a few times and it has gone over superbly every time. Filling + Tasty + Great Left Overs + Kids Love = A lotta good.
Baked Potato Soup:
4 large baking potatoes (I added in one extra and used microwavable taters)
2/3 cup butter
2/3 cup flour
6 cups milk
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
12 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
4 green onions, chopped (I nixed out)
8 ounces sour cream
1. Bake potatoes at 400 for 1 hour. Let stand until cool.
2. Cut potatoes in half and scoop pulp into a large bowl.
3. Melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat.
4. Add the flour, gradually stirring until smooth. Cook for 1 minute.
5. Add the milk gradually, stirring constantly. Cook over medium heat until the mixture is thick and bubbly, stirring constantly.
6. Add the potato pulp, salt, pepper, 1/2 of crumbled bacon and 1 cup of cheese and mix well.
7. Cook until heated through, adding more milk if needed. Stir in 2 Tbsp. of green onions. Ladle into soup bowls. Sprinkle with remaining bacon, cheese and green onions. Top each bowl with a dollop of sour cream.